Sunday 19 October 2008

X

Training has been going well. Instead of focusing on mastering the application of techniques in sparring, I have been using my time sparring to remain calm and relaxed, so as to not perform the way that beginners are reputedly accused of.

At my last session, this past Saturday, instead of going through techniques, skill specific drills, etc. because a competition is coming up, the Instructor made us compete in a friendly tournament.

I was matched up with a grappler who I believe to have some Judo experience, and definitely know him to have more Jiu-jitsu experience in the Gi as he has a stripe on his White Belt. He was taller and stronger than me. Fighting for grips was very tough because of his strength, I felt like I could not get the grips I wanted, and he was very aggressive and fast paced. I was eventually taken down and my opponent implemented his game.

I found it impossible to regain guard or do much more than attempt to grab his arm and roll him (in the manner that the Gracie's teach to all prospective students to illustrate how effective Jiu-jitsu is) and grab onto his collar. I hasten to add that my grabbing of his collar wasn't to choke him - I haven't been taught how to do that yet - but merely to keep control of some part of his Gi.

It felt like a very long time, whilst he was on me, pressing his weight down, being very competitive and agressive; I eventually swept him after what felt like a million attempts and the futility of competing almost set in. Whilst in his guard, he attempted to either go for the armbar or the triangle, but I like to think that I have some defence to these moves, so after escaping the attempt, I was on top in side-control and started to work on the submission moves I know from side-control. Admittedly - I only practice the americana and a rolling armlock from side-control. I couldn't get the americana the first time or the second. I am used to grapplers putting everything into holding position, so much so as doing dirty tricks, and I think I used one myself. I put my forearm into my opponent's throat and put pressure on him. I also tried to do the Carlson Gracie choke where you use your Gi, thread it under their neck, then pull it and use their elbow to pressure their throat.

I can't remember if I went for a rolling armbar or if I got swept. I think it was the armbar, although as I say I don't know, but I ended up holding his arm between my legs, facing downwards, trying to get an armlock from underneath. I felt him about to roll out of it, so I grabbed his Gi pants, and as he rolled I went with him and worked on finishing the armbar. I felt a rapid movement from his hands against my leg, which I thought was a tap, and I let go because I didn't want to cause an injury by, essentially, Frank Mir'ing his arm. He stated he didn't tap but the Instructor and Referee said that in the interests of safety the decision was going to me because if we had reset from the exact same position - I could have forced the tap or done damage.

I was unbelievably elated, not that I had won, but that it was over and that I could now start to breathe. I thanked my opponent, received congratulations for the armlock and I reflect on it and think I did good. Even though I was on the bottom for a large percentage of the fight, when I was on top, I made it count. I suppose I learned that from my brother. Through rolling with him, I know that if I am on top, I have to make sure that it counts if I want to finish a guy.

I reflect upon something one of the Brown Belt said in response to a question I had. I said, "I feel like I'm always being reactive instead of proactive. Is there anything you can suggest to do that will change that?"; what I had wanted was some moves that could at least make me think I was doing more than defending against the Purple and Browns. He said "Well, you've diagnosed your own problem, be more active... To be honest, you really shouldn't be here because you haven't completed the Foundation program, so you're going to find it hard." His candid approach was appreciated, and there are reasons why I don't do the Foundation program (specifically, it conflicts with lectures every other week, and I don't want to pay £60 to have 1 hour 30 mins grappling every week when I can have 3 hours grappling a week) but I think - if I had gone to the Foundation classes - would I have ever been tested like that and been able to overcome it?

No comments: