Wednesday 5 March 2008

III

I recognise that part of the progression of Jiu-jitsu practitioners at a Basic level is first developing your instructors techniques. That signifies to me that choosing an instructor is highly important in your development of your Jiu-jitsu game.

Living in the United Kingdom, whilst we're not Brazil or America for the depth of number for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools, we certainly do have a great deal of talented instructors including but not limited to Braulio Estima in Birmingham, Lucio Rodrigues in North West England and Roger Gracie in London.

I would not consider myself an absolute beginner where Jiu-jitsu is concerned, however I wouldn't say that I'm beyond beginner status; I haven't attended or been a member of an official school either.

I have a decision to make as to which Jiu-Jitsu Academy I will join. The decision however will not solely be made on the strengths and weaknesses of attending one particular school over another; whichever school I do choose to attend will come with the accompanying (and more important) choice of "Which University shall I read Law at?"

I have five Conditional Offers from Universities across England.

* Birmingham City University
* Gracie Barra Birmingham - Lead by Braulio Estima

* University of Bradford
* Gracie Barra Leeds - Affiliate of Braulio Estima

* Keele University
* Gracie Barra Stoke - Affiliate of Lucio Rodrigues

* Staffordshire University
* Gracie Barra Stoke - Affiliate of Lucio Rodrigues

* University of Westminster
* Gracie Barra London - Lead by Roger Gracie or Carlson Gracie London - Lead by Wilson Junior

I have a brother who already trains in Jiu Jitsu at Gracie Barra Birmingham. We started at the same time but partly due to lack of money and partly due to lack of time I was unable to continue with learning; whereas, when our BJJ Instructor left for France, my brother chose to go to Gracie Barra Birmingham in order to get the grappling he was looking for, yet missing at our local Mixed Martial Arts club.

I mention this only because it is the considered and shared opinion of my immediate family that I should not attend a University in the same City as my brother, for a myriad of reasons, therefore if I were to follow that view I would not be able to go to Birmingham City University or Gracie Barra Birmingham.

I am not enamoured with that proposition. I find that it is extremely unfair that I have to choose what I do, solely predicated on the view that I have to stay away from him, both for Jiu-Jitsu and both for where I will read Law. As my brother and I are identical twins, we have always been grouped and classed together; it is in the spirit of that, that my sister recommended I discount Birmingham as a choice. From my view - I don't think I've been able to forge much of an identity away from him. He's always been the more socially active, had more friends and people have taken to him quicker, whilst I have been reclusive and solitary, and to be honest, that is largely down to an event that I am taking Jiu-Jitsu to overcome.

So, the question I have to ask myself is, where should I go?

No comments: